Seafood is the theme for this week’s Sunday Supper. I’m a big fan of Seafood, often choosing it as my main protein in a meal. The majority of my friends love shrimp and a handful love cooking with crab, especially Maryland crab.
As for me, my go to seafood is scallops. Why? Thaws out quickly, cooks in a few minutes and adapts well to many flavor profiles.
I recently returned from a month in Asia, where the street smells smack you in the face and your tastebuds tango with sweet and spicy. A few Thai meals during last month’s adventure reminded me how much I missed the sweet, sticky and completely addictive Thai Sweet Chili Sauce.
Those meals jogged my memory of one of my favorite dishes while leaving and working in Thailand. One of my favorite and go to meals was a medley of garlic, lime, Thai Chili and chicken. Once I discovered Thai chili sauce, it was my go to dipping sauce; replacing my Heinz ketchup. I know, crazy but true.
My go to dish in Thailand is the inspiration of my recipe. It’s an easy recipe to make, little prep time, easy kitchen cleanup and it’s sure to cause you to do a little tango in your home — or at least in your mouth.
Chili – Lime Pan Seared Scallops recipe can be served as an appetizer, turned into a main meal or as an amuse-bouche.
Enjoy any way you serve it.
1 1/2 Tbsp Unsalted Butter – Room Temperature
2 Limes (1 lime – grate onto soft butter. The other lime – cut into small wedges)
1/2 tsp. finely chopped Serrano Chili Pepper *Wear gloves.
1/2 tsp. finely diced Garlic
8 tsp. Thai Chili Sauce (in a bottle/jar) **choose based on dark red color
Salt & Pepper to taste
- Remove frozen scallops from freezer. Place 2 paper towels on dish, place scallops on top of the paper towels. Wait until they are semi thaw, cover with plastic wrap, then place them the refrigerator.
- Finely chop/dice Serrano Chili Peppers with rubber gloves on. Your eyes will send me a thank you card because you will inadvertently touch them when not using gloves.
- Finely dice the garlic.
- Dice the scallion.
- Grate the peel of 1 lime into the butter. Mix well with a fork. Add the garlic, and Serrano Chili Peppers.
- Turn on burner to Medium-High heat & place the EMPTY pan on the burner.
- Season both sides of the scallops with light S&P.
- Once the pan is hot (a few minutes), add 1 Tbsp of Lime/Serrano/Garlic butter to the pan.
- Place the Scallops in the pan – do NOT crowd the scallops.
- The size of the scallops – depends the cooking time. My scallops took 1 1/2 minutes per side. ***I know you will want to mess with them, check them, pick them up…shelf the curiosity for now. Plenty of time in other recipes.
- Heat up via stove or microwave the Thai Sweet Chili Sauce.
- Turn the scallops ONCE. ******They should look golden brown with a carmarlized appearance on each side.
- Spread out on a plate (see my picture) 1 teaspoon of Thai Chili Sauce per scallop.
- Using tongs, place 1 scallop on each circle of Thai Sweet Chili Sauce.
- Place a smidgen of lime/serrano/garlic butter on top of each scallop.
- Place the wedges in between each scallop.
- Lightly dust with diced scallion.
***squeeze a lime wedge over your scallop and enjoy.
25+ Best Sunday Supper Seafood Recipes
- Chili-Lime Scallops by Girl Abroad
- Cilantro Lime Shrimp by Simple and Savory
- Coconut Mahi Kale Salad with Citrus Dijon Vinaigrette by Gourmet Everyday
- Crab Cake Bites by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Crab Cakes with Tartar Sauce by Palatable Pastime
- Easy Salmon Sliders by Sunday Supper Movement
- Grilled Baby Octopus by Food Lust People Love
- Manhattan Clam Chowder by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Mediterranean Shrimp Bruschetta by The Weekend Gourmet
- Salmon Tartare by Caroline’s Cooking
- Smoked Salmon, Orange and Avocado Salad by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Ten Minute Sweet and Spicy Shrimp by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Cioppino by Monica’s Table
- Easy Tilapia Pomodoro Dinner by My Life Cookbook
- Frutti Di Mare by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Lemony Salmon and Asparagus Foil Packets by Our Good Life
- New Orleans Style Barbecue Shrimp by Flour On My Face
- No Fail Beer Battered Fish by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- One Pan Mustard Crusted Halibut and Vegetables by Pies and Plots
- Pecan Crusted Cod by From the Bookshelf
- Salmon Honey-Lemon Teriyaki by Asian In America
- Saucy Cod Fillets Florentine by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Scallops with Orange Butter Sauce by My savory spoon
- Seafood Fettuccine Alfredo by The Freshman Cook
- Seafood Laksa by Brunch-n-Bites
- Sheet Pan Salmon by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Shrimp Salad Sandwich by Soulfully Made
- Shrimp Scampi Pasta by Crazed Mom
- Soft Shell Salmon Tacos with Mango Salsa by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Sweet and Sour Salmon by Cricket’s Confections
- Teriyaki Mahi Mahi with Mango Salsa by Wholistic Woman
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.